Tuesday 8 June 2010

Aldeburgh Photographs by John 'Jumbo' Taylor at Snape Prom.

"I am fascinated with the way the world looks; I am particularly fascinated by the way the world looks in pictures"

"I obsessively gather and hoard images of the world like a magpie gathers and hoards glittering objects"

"On any given day anything is worthy of being photographed, there is no hierarchical prioritization of subject matter in my world view".


I first became aware of Aldeburgh through an arts programme on TV. The programme concentrated on the rich history of the town related to the arts and artists, in particular Benjamin Britten who founded the Aldeburgh Festival. 
In 1998 I made my first visit and immediately began to photograph what I found in my own idiosyncratic fashion. All around one is confronted by cliched images of the sea, boats, seagulls, sunsets etc. As an artist I could not subscribe to that kind of populist imagery and forged my own vision of the town and surrounding area.
Approximately thirty of my images will be shown at the Snape Prom 2010 starting August 9th I hope you can see the exhibition.
There are almost 250 images in the series, only 30 will be shown at Snape Prom all of my Aldeburgh images can be seen here.

There will be an exhibition opening, check this blog for details, I would love to meet you.

To find out about the Aldeburgh Festival and Snape Prom go here. http://www.aldeburgh.co.uk/

Follow John on twitter http://twitter.com/jumbotaylor 





























No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.